Hon. Russell W. Hartigan, ret.
Judge Russell Hartigan brings his judicial experience combined with his extensive experience litigating civil matters to his private mediation and arbitration practice. During his judicial tenure, Judge Hartigan was known as a highly effective pre-trial mediator, helping lawyers and their clients resolve pending litigation through the mediation process. He was rated “Highly Recommended” by the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association for Circuit and Appellate Courts.
Judge Hartigan completed Advanced Civil Mediation Training through the National Judicial College in 2012 and the Judicial Academy in 2013. He is currently President of the Illinois Bar Association.
Judge Hartigan concentrates his mediation practice on the resolution of:
- Substantial Personal Injury Matters
- Wrongful Death Cases
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Malpractice
- Commercial Disputes
- Construction Disputes
- Police Liability Matters
- Property Damage Disputes
- Professional Liability
- Medical Malpractice
Before being appointed and then elected to the bench, Judge Hartigan represented both plaintiffs and defendants in civil litigation. He has tried over 60 jury trials in State and Federal court. Judge Hartigan is a member of the American Board Of Trial Advocates. Membership is invitational only, and is based on the number and types of cases the member has tried to completion.
Judge Hartigan has lectured or written on Jury Selection, Affidavits, Rule 213 Disclosure, Daubert/Frye expert disclosure, and Cross-Examination, Law Office Management, Post-Trial Motions and Appeals, and Uninsured Motorist Coverage for LawEd series, ISBA Seminars, West Suburban Bar Seminars, Chicago Bar and NWSBA Seminars. He has written Trial Briefs; Southwest Bar Rule 213 in 2014 and Articles for Civil Practice Committee, Illinois State Bar Association. Judge Hartigan is also a frequent speaker on Municipal legal topics.
To Schedule mediation or arbitration with Judge Hartigan, please contact Mike Weinzierl at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.346.3770, x125.
- John Marshall Law School – 1975 – Juris Doctorate
- DePaul University, B.S.C. – Commerce – 1970, M.B.A. Program – 1970
- St. Ignatius High School
Circuit Court of Cook County
Fifth Municipal District; March 2012 – September 2016; Assigned to civil jury call, trying and settling civil jury and non-jury civil cases. Rated Highly Recommended by Chicago Bar Association and Illinois State Bar Association for Circuit Court and Appellate Court.
First Municipal District; October 2010 – March 2012; Appointed Circuit Court Judge, by Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court. Received “Highly Recommended” rating from Chicago Bar Association and Illinois State Bar among others.
Hartigan & O’Connor P.C., Partner; 2008 — Oct. 2010; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in Civil Trial work including Casualty and Municipal Defense, Workers Compensation, Personal Injury and Arbitration/Mediation
Hartigan & Cuisinier P.C., Partner; 1996 — 2008; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in Civil Trial work including Casualty and Municipal Defense, Workers Compensation, Personal Injury and Arbitration/Mediation
November 1989 – 1996 Russell W. Hartigan & Associates P.C., Partner; November 1989 – 1996; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in Civil Trial work including Casualty and Municipal Defense, Workers Compensation, Personal Injury and Arbitration
Goggin, Cutler, Hull & Hartigan, Partner; November 1988 – November 1989; Engaged in Civil Trial work including Casualty and Municipal Defense, Workers Compensation and Personal Injury
Scanlan & Hartigan, Ltd., Managing Partner; 1981-1988; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in Civil Trial practice with accent on Personal Injury Plaintiff and Defense, Municipal Liability and Worker’s Compensation
Garbutt & Jacobson Associated, 1977 – 1981; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in Personal Injury Defense for Insurance Carriers with accent on Motor Vehicle, Premises Liability and Worker’s Compensation Defense. Handled Municipal Defense for the City of Berwyn, City of Evanston and City of Chicago.
Shippers, Betar, Lamendalle & O’Brien, 1976 — 1981; Principal Responsibilities: Engaged in General Practice with accent on Civil and Federal Litigation
John Marshall Law School, 2008 – Present; Adjunct Professor – Law Office Management Course, co-instructor Clifford Scott Rudnick; 2014 – Present Adjunct Professor – Trial Advocacy
Northwestern University, 1990 – Present; University College; Teach Business Law and Contracts
DePaul University, School for New Learning, 1988 – Present; Currently teach a course entitled “Court Structure and Common Law, Employer and Employee”.
SPEAKER & AUTHOR
Illinois State Bar
- Presentation Supreme Court Rule 213, 2010-2015
- 2011 ISBA Seminar Motion Practices “A View from the Bench”
- Frye and Daubert Expert Testimony 2013
- UIM Chicago, IL; Cross-Exam, New Orleans, LA 2010
- 2015 Municipal Liability “Sidewalk cases and Affirmative Defenses”
West Suburban Bar
- Seminar Civil Topic, Oak Brook, IL January 2015
- Supreme Court Rule 213, Elmhurst, IL 2013
- Post-Trial Motions, Oak Brook, IL 2011
- Supreme Court Rule 213 (2013)
Chicago Bar Seminar
- Objections from a Judge’s Perspective, December 2015
Allerton House Conference(s)
- Social Media 2013, Champaign, IL
- Photographic Evidence 2012, Champaign, IL
- New Realities of Civil Practice 2015, Utica, IL
DISTINCTIONS & AWARDS
Elected – Advocate – American Board of Trial Advocates
Member of American Board of Trial Advocates (you must qualify for admission with at least 50 Jury Trials)
Illinois State Bar Association
- Current 2nd Vice-President Illinois State Bar
- Immediate Past President of the West Suburban Bar
- Appointed to the Illinois Bar Foundation, 2014-2017, 2009-2013, 2007-2008, 2004-2007, Gala Chair 2013, current member Executive Committee.
- Elected Board of Governors 2010-2012, 2007-2010, 1998-2004
- Member of the Executive Committee of the West Central Municipal Conference 2009, 2010 Vice-Chair
- Appointed to Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, representing West and South Cook County 2008-2010
- President John Marshall Alumni Board, 2007- 2008
- Elected Assembly Member 2005-2008, 1979-2004,
- Elected Secretary 2002, 2003, Treasurer 2001, 2002